This is impressive!
Stein: Tour de Puke
Posted using ShareThis
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
What better way to celebrate Canada Day than by leaving the country and cycling in Washington State? Today was the annual Hurricane Ridge climb/race that many Victoria area cyclists take part in. This was my first time participating in the event. The instructions are simple:
1. Get up very early
2. Ride to Victoria's inner harbour
3. Get on the 6:10am Coho ferry to Port Angeles (Washington)
4. Get through customs
5. Regroup and start to climb out of Port Angeles towards the Hurricane Ridge roadway
6. Pay $5 US to enter the park
7. Regroup and start the race! (Or just ride for those that can't climb like Lance Armstrong)
8. Ride to the top at 1,600m (~5200 ft) elevation
9. Look at the senery
10. Ride down and catch the 12:45 Coho ferry back to Victoria
11. Get through customs
12. Ride home
It was a great day and there was probably close to 70 cyclists on the ferry today.
See this link for pictures that I took during the ride.
Heather, these are for your benefit (I warned you that I am a geek):
Solid heart rate all the way up, only a couple of dips when I stopped to take some photos.
Top speed of 74km/hr on the descent and super low heart rate.