Tuesday, April 5, 2011

April Showers



Looking out the window at work today I didn't think that I would be cycling outside tonight.  The weather was not inviting at all.  Heavy rains and cold temperatures make for a miserable experience on a bike ride.  However, once I got home after work, the sun was partially out and the roads gave the impression that they were dry.  So I prepped the road bike, and left to meet the group at the designated meet up spot.

On the way there the wind was gusty, and the skies were spitting at me lightly.  The group workout was 6 x hill repeats with an increasing intensity from 1-3 and holding a strong intensity for 4, 5, and 6.  I did the best I could but the rain was coming down harder and the temperature was dropping.  My engine started sputtering on #4.  This was turning out to be a character builder ride for everyone.  As soon as the group was done, I sprinted for home, hoping to beat some of the cold out of my legs.  My thumbs and fingers decided they weren't happy with the cold wet weather and decided to inform me via the pain channel.  Wow did they ever hurt from the cold!  Braking and shifting gears with cold wet hands becomes increasingly difficult.

Once home, I jumped into the shower ASAP.  I was so cold that I couldn't tell if the water was hot or cold.

That was one cold ride!  Still happy I did it!

No comments: