Sunday, May 4, 2008

Bike is race ready, but am I?


The Gulf Coast Half is 6 days away now. I tried out the race wheels and aero helmet for today's ride to check that everything will work for race day. I know that training with an aero helmet makes one look like an idiot. Well I was able to give everyone a show with it today. When I pulled into the driveway at the end of the ride I placed my foot on the driveway and attempted to swing my leg over my bike to dismount. About halfway through the dismount I knew that something was wrong. My foot on the ground started to slip downhill (towards the bike). Our driveway is quite steep where I did this, so I knew that I wouldn't hurt myself if I did go down as it would be like falling into a sitting position. I like to think it was a controlled sit down, but in reality it was probably quite different. My bike was still nearly vertical as I held it with one hand but in the end I was definitely "sitting" at the edge of my driveway, I couldn't help but laugh. Traffic had come to a stop at a light to watch the guy in the aero helmet fall while dismounting his bike. And our nice neighbour lady walking her dog had seen the entire event. She asked if I was ok, I just laughed and reassured her that I was fine, just very much embarrassed.

Next time I'm going to try to dismount without falling. I'm blaming it on the aero helmet.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: